- The information we collect about you and how we do it, including:
- how we collect information about you
- what information we collect
- why we need your email address
- using cookies or other on-device storage
- how we will use information we collect about you, including:
- when you use our websites
- when you use our Search Tool
- your browsing activity on thehappydog.co
- customisation of our online services and advert targeting
- tracking how our online services are used
- when you order products or services through us
- comments submitted to our online blogs and articles
- direct marketing
- user surveys
- when we will contact you;
- direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences;
- who we may share your personal information with;
- where we process your personal information;
- how to keep your information up to date;
- how we keep your information secure;
- why we link to other websites;
- using cookies on our websites and how you can reject them;
- what rights you have in your personal information and how you can use them;
- what privacy organisations we belong to; and
1. The information we collect about you and how we do it
To provide you with our products and services, we may need information about you.
If you use our websites, you are in control of what information we collect about you, but if you choose not to share your information, you may not be able to access or use some areas of our websites.
a. How we collect information about you
We will collect information about you when you:
- use our online services;
- order directories or any of our other products and services;
- create an account on thehappydog.co (this enables you to write customer reviews);
- use the ‘send-to-a-friend’ feature on thehappydog.co (this is where you can email information about a business or service on thehappydog.co to a friend);
- click on one of the adverts that we put on other websites;
- ask for information from us;
- give us a testimonial or other feedback;
- submit comments relating to blogs or articles featured on thehappydog.co;
- enter competitions or special promotions; or
- fill in surveys.
We may also get information about you from third parties, with whom we have a business relationship.
b. What information we collect
The information we collect and hold about you may include your:
- name (first and last name);
- phone and/or mobile phone numbers;
- email address;
- IP address;
- search criteria, including businesses and locations searched;
- cell IDs (these are the unique identifiers of the telecommunications towers being used by your mobile phone when you use our thehappydog.co mobile location based services) and other user location information (for example, GPS measurements);
- date of birth;
- password details, answers to security questions (for example your mother’s maiden name) or both; and
- any other information you may give us when you write to us or contact us in other ways.
c. Why we need your email address
When you register on our websites, we collect your email address. We may use it for account administration (for example to email you your password, if you forget it) and for added security. We may use your email address to send you a confirmation of any order you make, if you buy products or services from or through us, to confirm any profile changes you make and to respond to you if you contact us for information about our services. We might also use your email address to bring you news such as changes to the way you can use our online services or new services and special offers we think you might be interested in. For more information on direct marketing and how to change your preferences, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences.
d. Using cookies or other on-device storage
2 How we will use information we collect about you
a. When you use our websites
b. When you use our Search Tool
Our Search Tool allows you to search for keywords being used to find businesses on thehappydog.co and the number of searches being made against different keywords. When you use our Search Tool, we will store your email address and will use this information to identify any activities that are prohibited under our online services conditions of use. We collect this information from everyone that uses the Search Tool.
c. Your browsing activity on thehappydog.co
If you use thehappydog.co, your computer will store up to 5 of your last searches using cookies. We will also save the location you searched for (such as the postcode or geographic area). This lets you do the same search next time you use thehappydog.co or search for other types of business without having to re-enter the location every time. This information is stored only on your computer. We also collect information on your activity while you use thehappydog.co, such as:
- your IP address (this is a unique 12 digit number used by programs on the internet to recognise and communicate with your computer);
- the type of browser you use (a browser is the program you use to look at websites, such as Internet Explorer, Firefox or Safari);
- the times when you access the site and for how long; and
- your referring URL (the site you come from to reach our website).
This information does not allow us to identify you. We collect it from lots of visitors to our websites and analyse it. This lets us build up a picture of how people use our websites. This helps us improve the services we offer.
We may also give anonymous statistics about users to other, reputable organisations, but the information we provide will not include details that would allow these organisations to identify you.
d. Customisation of our online services and advert targeting
e. Tracking how our online services are used
We may collect information about activity on our online services, or we may use other organisations to collect it and to share the results with us. We use this information to:
- analyse statistics;
- track pages and paths used by visitors to, or users of, our online service;
- target the adverts or offers, such as banners, on our online services and on the websites and other online services of other organisations; and
- track the use of our internet banner adverts and other links from our marketing partners’ websites to our websites.
f. When you order products or services through us
If you give us feedback, we may use it to improve our products and services and we may publish it online or offline to promote our business, products and services. We will ask for your permission before we publish it.
h. Comments submitted to our online blogs and articles
If you wish to submit a comment or feedback on a blog or article featured on thehappydog.co, we may (but are not obliged to) publish your comment online or offline to promote our business, products and services. We will collect your name which will be displayed next to your comment, and e-mail address, which will not be published, but which we may use to contact you in relation to your comment.
We use the websites of other companies to host advertising for our advertising customers. If you click on one of these advertisements, you will go through to our customer’s website and we will collect your IP address and use it to analyse how well the advertising works.
j. Direct marketing
For information on how we may market to you, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences.
k. User surveys
3 When we will contact you
We may contact you:
- about information you have asked for, in order to answer your request;
- if you have given us feedback, to discuss that feedback or ask your permission to publish it;
- if you have chosen to receive further information from us;
- to invite you to take part in surveys about our products and services (it is always up to you whether you want to take part); and
- for marketing purposes, unless you tell us to stop (for more information, please read section 4 – Direct marketing and how you can change your marketing preferences.
4 Direct marketing and how you can manage your marketing preferences
We offer you the chance to receive important news from thehappydog.co and information about our products and services, such as changes to the way you can use our online services or new services and special offers you might be interested in.
We will ask you if you want to receive direct marketing if you:
- register for one of our services; or
- enter a competition or register for a promotion with thehappydog.co.
Unless you tell us otherwise, we may contact you by phone, post, email, text message or any other way (electronic or otherwise). We will normally send you direct marketing by email if we have your email address.
If you would like us to stop sending direct marketing to you, we offer simple ways for you to tell us to stop. Whenever you receive direct marketing from us, we will tell you how to unsubscribe. Also, if you create an account on thehappydog.co, you can change your marketing preferences at any time by logging on and changing the marketing preferences in the ‘Edit Profile’ section.
If you tell us that you do not want to receive direct marketing, we will still contact you in order to provide you with services you request and for administration purposes.
5 Who we may share your personal information with
We may need to share your information with other organisations to provide you with the products, services or information you ask for. We may pass your information to one or more of the following organisations:
- other websites and services belonging to Cotswold Data;
- data processing companies, mailing houses and other third party suppliers working on our behalf;
- research students, universities and other research and development organisations;
- government and enforcement agencies, such as Trading Standards and the police.
Occasionally, this may involve sending your information outside the European Economic Area. For more information, please read section 6 – Where we process your personal information.
Every now and again, we receive requests for information from government departments, the police and other enforcement agencies. If this happens, and there is a proper legal basis for providing your personal information, we will provide it to the organisation asking for it.
6 Where we process your personal information
When we use your information as described in section 2 – How we will use information we collect about you, this may occasionally involve sending your information outside the European Economic Area (EEA). Where we do this, we make sure that appropriate steps are taken to protect your personal information and your rights. By providing us with your personal information, you agree that we may transfer, store and process your information outside the EEA.
7 How to keep your information up to date
You can update your personal details quickly and easily by clicking on the “Contact” link at the bottom of any page on thehappydog.co. Enter your request to update your details. We will need both your old details and your new details, in order to deal with your request.
8 How we keep your information secure
We take the security of your personal information very seriously. We have put in place technology and security policies which are designed to protect the personal information that we hold about you. We also follow the strict security procedures that privacy laws require. These cover storing, using and releasing any information you have provided, and preventing unauthorised access or use. For more information on how thehappydog.co protects the security of your information, please read the Security Policy.
9 Why we link to other websites
Our online services contain hyperlinks to websites that are owned and operated by other organisations. These websites have their own privacy and cookie policies, and we urge you to read them. They control how your personal information is used when you give it to these other organisations or they collect it with cookies. We do not approve any other websites and we are not responsible for any information, material, products or services that are on or accessible through those websites or for the privacy practices of websites run by other organisations. If you use these other websites you do it at your own risk.
10 Using cookies on our websites and how you can reject them
11 What rights you have in your personal information and how can you use them
You have the right to ask us not to use your personal information for marketing purposes. We will usually tell you when we collect your personal details if we are planning to use them for marketing purposes or if we plan to pass them to any other organisation for marketing purposes. For more information, please read section 4 – Direct Marketing and how you can manage your marketing preferences.
You have the right to see information we hold about you, (with some exceptions, which are described in the privacy laws. If you would like a copy of your personal information, you should contact our data protection officer. You will need to pay a processing fee of £10.
You have the right to review and update your personal details. You can do this by clicking on the “Contact” link at the bottom of any page on thehappydog.co. Simply request a copy of your personal details or enter your request to update your details. We will need both your old details and your new details, in order to deal with any update request. If you have created an account on thehappydog.co, you can update your details through the ‘Edit Profile’ Section.
13. What privacy organisations we belong to
We are a corporate member of the Direct Marketing Association (DMA).